International Criminal Law
Oliver has built a leading reputation in international criminal law, spanning over 15 years and six international tribunals.
First cutting his teeth as a trainee solicitor at a London law firm acting on behalf of a defendant at the Special Court for Sierra Leone, Oliver spent over seven years as a legal officer in the trial and appeals chambers at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. During his time at the United Nations, Oliver worked on over a dozen cases of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes involving over 24 accused. Since leaving the United Nations, Oliver has worked on litigation before the International Criminal Court, MICT and ECCC.
Between 2017-2019 Oliver lead the research project Mapping Bashir, recording the travels of former Sudanese leader Omar Al-Bashir whilst subject to ICC arrest warrants in conjunction with the Vanderbilt Law School.
Oliver has also contributed to pioneering work on starvation as an international crime, and domestically recently advised on the debate surrounding the inclusion of a genocide clause in the UK’s recent Trade Bill. Oliver currently serves on the list of Assistant Counsel at the International Criminal Court and List of Consultants at the ECCC.
Notable cases include:
International Criminal Court
- Prosecutor v. Omar Hassan Ahmad Al Bashir (Sudan: ICC-02/05-01/09 OA2) Amicus Curiae Brief (co-author)
Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia
- Cases 003 and 004 (003/07-09-2009-ECCC-OCIJ) Amicus Curiae Brief
International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- Prosecutor v. Prlić et al. (IT-04-74) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Stanišić and Župljanin (IT-08-91-A) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Stanišić and Simatović (IT-03-69) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Šešelj (IT-03-67) Decision Revocation of Provisional Release
- Prosecutor v. Hadzić (IT-04-75) Decision onProvisional Release and Decision Stay of Proceedings
International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
- Prosecutor v. Ndahimana (ICTR-01-68) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Nzabonimana (ICTR-98-44D) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Karemera and Nigrumpatse, (ICTR-98-44) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Nyiramasuhuko et al. (“Butare”) (ICTR-98-42) Appeal Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Zigiranyirazo (ICTR-01-73) Decision on Request for Damages Following Acquittal
- Prosecutor v. Ntaganzwa (ICTR-96-9) Decision on Transfer of Case to Rwanda
- Prosecutor v. Nizeyimana (ICTR-00-55C) Trial Judgement
- Prosecutor v. Ndindiliyimana et al. (“Military II”) (ICTR-00-56) Trial Judgement
Interested in instructing Oliver at rights: applied? Get in touch securely via firstname.lastname@example.org